Re: ATM vs. DS3

  • From: Peter Kline
  • Date: Thu Jul 10 21:47:30 1997

At 04:06 PM 7/10/97 -0400, Stephen Balbach wrote:

>Question: On a Cisco with an AIP card, how do you determain what the
>          overhead is? We connect to our upstream provider via ATM.

Again, from experience, a DS3 AIP is "full" when the 5-minute-average
counters are reporting ~34Mpbs (in other words, the counters never went
higher).  Performance wasn't terrific, but if you're looking for raw
quantity to compute "efficiency", or what some call goodput, then my crayon
on painted wall calculation is ~34Mbps (observed max) / ~45Mpbs (approx DS3
raw max) = ~75% "efficiency".  Given that networks and data have a
measurable coefficient of friction, I'd say that's the max you could get
under optimal conditions is something less.

It's not an option with the AIPs, but when we ran switch to switch we could
get another 4 - 5 Mpbs out of a DS3 by turning off PLCP (not an
endorsement,  recommendation, or even technically sound, but it worked).

Another way of looking at this is that we know an ATM PVC over a DS3 using
PLCP  is configurable for a maximum of 96000 cells per second.  96000 cells
per second * 48 payload octets per cell * 8 bits per octet = 36864000 bps,
or 36.864 Mbps, not too far from what I observed above.  With PLCP turned
off, the maximum PVC config was ~105000 cells per second, yielding ~40.3 Mpbs.

So AIP to AIP has the downside of all the protocol overhead with no benefit
in a point to point connection.  But you're trading off for the convenience
of not having to use a HSSI port to a T3 CSU/DSU with the additional rack
space and power concerns.  And if I had to pick one particular device which
I spent the most time fussing with and repairing/replacing, it would be T3
CSU/DSUs.

-peter

>.stb
>
>On Thu, 10 Jul 1997, Ben Black wrote:
>
>> i've never heard anything *less* than 20% loss in ATM overhead.

[SMTP:[email protected]]
CIR

>> > My God, someone admits it?
>> >
>> > I've used 20% as the general ATM overhead now for almost two years,
and have
>> > been poo-pooed by lots of people claiming that it wasn't anywhere near
that
>> > bad.
>> >
>> > Funny how it all comes out in the end. :-)
>> >
>> > --
>> > --
>> > Karl Denninger ([email protected])| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
>> > http://www.mcs.net/~karl     | T1's from $600 monthly to FULL DS-3
Service
>> > 			     | 99 Analog numbers, 77 ISDN, http://www.mcs.net/
>> > Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1 x219]| NOW Serving 56kbps DIGITAL on our
analog lines!
>> > Fax:   [+1 312 803-4929]     | 2 FULL DS-3 Internet links; 400Mbps B/W
Internal