Re: UUNet 10Plus

  • From: Mike Gaddis
  • Date: Thu Jul 10 11:50:20 1997

Those not interested in Ethernet to ATM control D now...

We are trialing a very similar product so I have been following this
thread
closely.  Peter's insight is useful, thanks.  Before we go too hard on
NetEdge,
however, we should understand that there are a lot of options that are
used
in deploying a service like this.  In our case we run the NetEdge in
routed
mode and leave the DS-3 completely open (Deepak suggested UUNet might
also).
This ATM flow then goes directly to our GigaRouter over an ATM PVC (DS-3
to OC-3).
(FYI, we use the EDGE 40 model.)

This eliminates ATM overhead as an issue on the local loop so any loss
would have to be "network" related in the upstream direction.  The
upstream
flow is metered by the limitation of the Ethernet access on the customer
premise, and although the EDGE 40 has lots of buffers, I would expect
few
are in use in the upstream direction except to manage SAR/processor
pipeline
delay.

However, this overpowered connection, while generally good for the
customer in the upstream direction may pose a problem for the downstream
direction where an open DS-3 can blast into the Ethernet. (Even if the
DS-3
Local loop is metered (paced) to match Ethernet speeds it should not
matter much
since we will just be pushing the buffering problem around.)

Therefore, the ATM to Ethernet buffer is the key.  The EDGE 40 has a
pretty
deep buffer pool (about 2 Mbytes I'm told) so I would expect a pretty
big
burst could be tolerated.  I would like to know if any of the
folks trialing the service were able to determine if their
loss/throughput
problems were upstream, downstream or bidirectinal.

Regards,

Mike Gaddis
EVP & CTO
SAVVIS Communications Corporation