Re: Keynote/Boardwatch Results

  • From: Craig A. Huegen
  • Date: Wed Jul 09 17:43:58 1997

On Wed, 9 Jul 1997, Alex.Bligh wrote:

==>ones (with a given cell loss probability), and being careful to remember
==>all that good stuff at the last but one NANOG about broken client stacks,
==>and I think you might find the above is a "non measurement".

It's a rough measurement, and if you'd go so far as to assign a 20% error
margin, you'd stillsee that a web server still owns a *significant* piece
of the click-to-data time, over 50%.

I think that a 20% error margin would be fair for this, provided neither I
nor my provider was having network problems at the time.  At the time,
this was intended as a rough measurement to determine how much time was
wasted in waiting for inefficient web servers.

==>I *think* (and am not sure) that if you have a proxy set up, you
==>always get the latter once you have connected to the proxy.
==>
==>Oh, and to skew the figures in the other direction, doesn't the first
==>prompt come up while the DNS lookup is being done?

Nope.  You'll see "Looking up host www.website.com..." in most browsers.
(I didn't use a browser to measure this; those "web browser says" lines
were there for the reference--a lot of people ask me why it sits there a
while after saying "contacted, waiting for response".

/cah