UUNet 10Plus

  • From: Joe Shaw
  • Date: Wed Jul 09 14:45:18 1997

Anyone out there using UUNet's 10 plus setup?  We were one of the original
beta testers, and have had consistant complaints about the performance of
the link because of the 10Mbps ethernet handoff to us.  We can only get
around 6Mbps out of the link before it hoses, and we know that's really
what you're going to get out of 10Mbit ethernet, which is why we've asked
for a different handoff meathod.  Also, they charge us $2000 for local
loop to run us to a building downtown, and from there it comes back into
the building we're in, into a room down the hall from our NOC.  They have
their own reasons for this I'm sure, but no one's been able to tell me
why.  Our problem is that we've maxed out our supposed 10Mbps link, so
they want us to get a metered DS3, charging us $4000 more a month, plus a
setup fee.  Now, under current UUNet performance, it's not likely we're
going to do anything like that.  It makes no sense to pay $4000 more, plus
a $2000 install fee to get mediocre performance out of them.

My question is, has anyone else out there with 10Plus service gotten a
different handoff from UUNet?  If so, how'd you get them to do it, and if
not, did you ask?  We've been quite upset with UUNet for the past 5
months, and seriously considering dropping them down to a t1 and using the
DS3 we just had installed from anouther carrier as our main path to the
net, but that does away with being really multi-homed.  Any suggestions,
questions, or comments would be appreciated.  Once again, I understand
that you only get 6Mbps out of a 10Mbps ethernet link, I just want to know
why UUNet won't deliver a better handoff to their 10Plus customers and
allow them to actually get 10Mbps.  I guess they're going to try pushing
tiered DS3 service, and if so, why even have 10Plus access?  Doesn't make
sense, unless you're a marketer...

Joe Shaw - [email protected]
NetAdmin - Insync Internet Services
"Learn more, and you will never starve." - Paraphrase of Lee