Re: Aggressive route flap dampening

  • From: Tony Li
  • Date: Tue Jul 08 02:01:01 1997

[email protected] (Sean M. Doran) writes:

> The "N" should be reduced (or the time period lengthened) and the
> cost of increasing that ratio should increase with the length of
> the prefix, in order to encourage topologically sound aggregation
> either through traditional means or through NAT and NAT-like boxes
> such as the one described and implemented by Paul Vixie.

Here's where we part company.  Varying the 'charge', either monetary or in
flap penalty creates an incorrect incentive: folks are incented to use a
shorter prefix.  Note that this is distinct from aggregation in that they
may simply use a shorter prefix and not actually use more address space,
thus hurting netwide utilization.

The 'correct' incentive is a charge for flapping and a charge for
announcement.  Both have real costs, directly traceable to processor and
memory costs.

> It fixed two problems simultaneously: firstly, there is lots of flap
> and flap is most irritating when relatively unimportant (and statistically
> small is likely to be less important than large) NLRI is responsible for
> a disproportionally large amount of it.  Secondly, there are lots of
> networks which really ought to be aggregated.  When a single up/down or
> up/down/up flap makes the network unusable for an hour or two, people
> generally become motivated either to be very very stable or to aggregate
> even adjacent aggregatable /24s in order to suffer fewer disconnectivities.

Note that both of these are 'fixed' without a length restriction: the per
prefix charge incents folks to aggregate.  The per flap charge incents them
to stability.  Direct cause and effect, without harmful side effects.  ;-)

Tony