Re: Root Servers not updated

  • From: Paul A Vixie
  • Date: Thu Jul 03 15:45:41 1997

David H. Holtzman, Senior VP Engineering, NSI, [email protected], wrote:

> Lastly, it appears irresponsible to fan the flames of "the internic is
> trying to get over" via lists like these.  How about giving us the benefit
> of the doubt?  We generally stay silent on these issues, but feel that it
> is important to explain what we are doing and why.  No, we are not trying
> to take over the net.  Sorry for the confusion.

As the irresponsible party in question, I'd like to thank you for clarifying
InterNIC's position, which appears to be that:

	(a) NSI does not hold intellectual property rights over any zone
	    or domain name other than "netsol.com".

	(b) NSI will continue to make all "internic" zone files publically
	    available, with no nondisclosure requirements on other root
	    name servers, now or ever.

	(c) NSI serves as "internic" at the will of the internet community,
	    and as a paid government contractor, and is merely the current
	    operator of this "public trust" after SRI and GSI had turns.

If that was NOT what you meant, please let us all know, and please retract
the phrase "appears irresponsible" in your above text.

Messages coming out of NSI have been very confused during your whole IPO
thing, and I appreciate you taking the time above to correct misimpressions
left by past public statements of other high ranking executives of NSI.

It would be a shame to have your IPO be based on "ownership of COM" or any
such rot.  NSI has many technical assets such as RWHOIS, so your IPO should
go stunningly well.

Thanks again for your clarification.