Re: URGENT! Root Servers not updated

  • From: Jesse Caulfield
  • Date: Thu Jul 03 13:22:13 1997

As I understand it (and I really don't so you should stop reading now...)
the purpose of locking down the zone files (or whatever) is not
necessarily a power grab by NSI, but rather a move to protect the people
and information who appear in that database (or whatever) from otherwise
nefarious miscreants. Folks who want the file will simply have to register
for it.

I believe information generally wants to be free, but there may be a good
business, technical and socially acceptable case for asking users of the
database to identify themselves.

Also, it's possible NSI got ahead of themselves and locked stuff up
before handing out the keys. What with the move and power grid failures in
Herndon, anything's possible.

--
JMC