genieweb.com answering for COM

  • From: Sean R. Lynch
  • Date: Thu Jul 03 13:01:29 1997

com.    304     SOA     genieweb.com. root.genieweb.com. (
                        11      ; serial
                        10800   ; refresh (3 hours)
                        3600    ; retry (1 hour)
                        604800  ; expire (7 days)

This was cached on one our name servers.  Sure enough, dig any com
@genieweb.com shows:

;; ANSWERS:
com.    86400   SOA     genieweb.com. root.genieweb.com. (
                        11      ; serial
                        10800   ; refresh (3 hours)
                        3600    ; retry (1 hour)
                        604800  ; expire (7 days)
                        86400 ) ; minimum (1 day)
com.    86400   NS      genieweb.com.

;; AUTHORITY RECORDS:
com.    86400   NS      genieweb.com.

;; ADDITIONAL RECORDS:
genieweb.com.   86400   A       198.147.97.23

I wonder if this is what has been causing random COM domain lookups to
fail for random people at random places.

The time I can see this affecting a name server is if it does a lookup
for a domain that's lamely delegated to genieweb.com, and then caches
the 'com' reply.

I've already left voicemail for the genieweb people.

--
Sean R. Lynch <[email protected]>