Re: Routing vs Switching (was Re: Another UUNET Explanation)

  • From: Larry Vaden
  • Date: Wed Jul 02 08:54:14 1997
  • Posted-date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 07:41:27 -0500 (CDT)

At 01:49 AM 7/2/97 -0400, Sean M. Doran wrote:

>The idea is to conserve the amount of work any given
>router has to do with respect to convergence, since that's
>a poorly-scalable hot-spot.
>
>In the past the hot-spot may have been the amount of
>traffic through a box, such that so few fat interfaces
>could be used that it was economically compelling to move
>that particular load into some sort of L2 switch and take
>the lumps wrt inherent routing scalability problems and
>the lack of conservation of configuration effort.
>
>Since there are existence proofs that this hot spot is now
>no longer economically insurmountable, and some much
>crunchier boxes are on the near horizon, the argument for
>using smart L2 fabrics at all is becoming weaker.

Sean,

We're involved in a discussion on [email protected] about whether the
Internet can afford to have a bunch of small multi-homed ISPs connected to
the net with PI /19s.

IMHO, there is not adequate participation by folks of your level of expertise.

Would you join the discussion please?  While I suspect you are subscribed
to the list, I'll be glad to forward recent posts if you so desire.

I appreciate your consideration of the matter and your time.

Thanks,

Larry

---

Larry Vaden, founder and CEO                  help-desk 903-813-4500
Internet Texoma, Inc.                            direct 903-870-0365
<http://www.texoma.net>                             fax 903-868-8551
bringing the real Internet to rural Texomaland    pager 903-867-6571