Re: Another UUNET Explanation

  • From: John Leong
  • Date: Tue Jul 01 22:51:03 1997

At 05:00 PM 07/01/97 -0700, Robert Bowman wrote:

> layer 2 vs. layer 3

Kind of a weird one in a way given that FR has internally its own Layer
2 as well as [stripped down] Layer 3 ... not unlike the [very short]
time when ARAPANET was routed over X.25 many moons ago.  Lots of
overhead by this funny layer 2 (error correction, flow control the
work).  On the other head, if it works .....

One thing I am curious about .... does anyone actually uses SVC with FR
for use as an underlying network for IP transport?  If so, I am curious
as to the pros/cons especially with respect to connection establishment
/ tear down overhead.

Regards,
John Leong