RE: Plethora of UUnet outages and instabilities

  • From: Peter Cole
  • Date: Tue Jul 01 12:57:12 1997

I am just a multihomed customer with Two T1s running BGP4.  I had no
trouble with my Ts from Sprint and MCI until about two months ago.  I am
running a 7206 with 64meg of RAM on 11.1(12).

Our customer support started getting complaints about customers not
being able to reach us(AS7201) from MSN dialup in Houston.  The network
153.36.0.0/14 was in my BGP tables but not my IP route table.  I called
Cisco and after a little work they concluded that the reason the routes
were being removed was more specific routes 153.36.50.0 & 153.36.51.0
inside the CIDR were removing the 153.36.0.0/14.  I didn't understand
the logic but a simple distribute list ignoring announcements for the
two class Cs seemed to solve the problem.  Later I sent a note to
Sprint, MCI, MSN, & UUNET.  Spint and MCI responded quickly stating that
Cisco was mistaken.  Cisco wants to look into it further.  I have herd
nothing from MSN or UUNET.  I have to update the software on the router
for other reasons.  I thought I would wait to see if the problem is
still present after my upgrade.  I have no route Damping setup and can
think of no other explanation for this bizarre behavior.

My point is that maybe there are other reasons that so many ASs are
having problems with UUNET routes.

Peter Cole   of   Telescan, Inc.       (281)588-9155
Better computing through lack of sleep.