Re: Keynote/Boardwatch Internet Backbone Index A better test!!!

  • From: Mike Hedlund
  • Date: Fri Jun 27 18:55:20 1997

I think first you need to know what your looking for in order to find it.
There is a large difference between reachability from A to B, overall
network performance between point A and B, backbone performance between A
and B, and host performance on B. You can only attempt to find an answer
if you know the question. I havent looked closely at the Keynote
performance data.. but it seems it is looking at a 'general' performance
check from point A/B/C/D/E etc, TO point Z. That is fine, but as with any
stats, they can be easily munged to imply what is wanted, and not what is.
Personally, i dont think checking the network path to www.'NSP'.net is the
correct way to do it. To me, tracing the path from multiple locations TO
www.'NSPs-Customer'.com is better.. altho that doesnt take into account
'peak' times, anomolies, freakish events, position of the moon.. etc..
However, i do find stats kind of entertaining to interpret, i dont think
there is a way to set in stone that by doing X you can find a 'perfect'
value that represents the statistics from A to B.

Just my 2 cents..

-mike