Re: Keynote/Boardwatch Internet Backbone Index A better test!!!

  • From: Jack Rickard
  • Date: Fri Jun 27 15:40:00 1997

Not an entirely whacky concept actually.  The way hot potato routing works,
this could actually be a "purer" test I suspect of the network internally
and a purer test of connectivity of any network to all others cum Internet.
 At least in the other direction, complementing what we are probably
measuring. Unfortunately, it would require the cooperation of the backbones
themselves, and a number of them would not find it in their interest,
consider it proprietary, etc. etc. ad nauseum.  The problem is, that many
of these companies benefit in the marketplace from this game of liars
poker, and don't WANT ****ANY**** testing or results.

Keynote does a "Top 40" study of 40 popular web sites and I believe they
make the results available on their web site.  It is interesting to observe
performance variations of the network as a whole over time.  Other than
that, we don't have much interest in it.  It is indicative of no specific
network, but of the Internet in general.

Jack Rickard
Jack Rickard                                    Boardwatch Magazine
Editor/Publisher                    8500 West Bowles Ave., Ste. 210
[email protected]                     Littleton, CO 80123
www.boardwatch.com                             Voice: (303)973-6038