Re: Internet Backbone Index

  • From: Joe Shaw
  • Date: Fri Jun 27 08:55:16 1997

I would think that as long as he's got some UN*X variant/flavor on there,
that a p90 would be enough.  Now, had he put Microsoft NT/IIS on there, it
probably wouldn't be able to handle the os, much less running web
services.  You'd be suprised at how silly a UN*X flavor can make an NT box
look when you compare them side by side.

Hell, I know someone that runs 4 heavily traveled non-profit websites on a
486sx33 with 4 megs of ram and a couple of megs of hardrive space running
FreeBSD. They get a couple a decent amount of hits a day, and never even
burp.  When people find out that it's only a 486sx33, they are usually
quite impressed.  All I can say is that you could not do that with a
microsoft product.

Joe Shaw - [email protected]
NetAdmin - Insync Internet Services
"Learn more, and you will never starve." - Paraphrase of Lee

I know this is slightly off topic, and I'll stop right here... Hope
everyone else has the sense to do the same.