Re: MCI outages (summary)

  • From: James A. Farrar
  • Date: Thu Jun 26 21:28:15 1997

At 02:32 AM 6/26/97 GMT, William Allen Simpson wrote:

>To summarize private reports, MCI NOC lost a fair number of its top
>technical staff when they "consolidated" their customer oriented NOCs
>into a single unit last year.  Now, the folks answering the phone aren't
>well trained in Internet; instead they are telco oriented.  I noticed
>that, too.
>

>> ... we don't do
>>maintenance in the middle of a sunday afternoon, unless of
>>course, you were in australia at the time.
>>
>That explains why it took half a day to fix your routing problem.
>Maintenance shift must come on duty around 10 pm EDT, eh?

border1.hsn#sh clock
20:47:57.710 EDT Thu Jun 26 1997

border1.hsn uptime is 4 days, 4 hours, 39 minutes

>And, of course, you've seen the note that you had a router down in
>Houston at about those times.  Must be official policy not to "admit"
>outages.

MCI has an outage list that one may subscribe to if they wish to be
notified of events that may affect the Internet community. You should
inquire with your service provider about that, thanks.

> 4) traceroutes clearly showed that it was an MCI problem.

Please forward the trace route in order to further assist you.

> 5) call MCI NOC with information.
>
> 6) get shrugged off with a recommendation that I send my problem to
>    [email protected]  This would be amazing if it were not so incredibly
>    stupid, since it was my inability to get my email that brought the
>    problem to my attention.

 <[email protected]> would actually be the correct address should you wish to
provide some information, thank you.

>>you expect our
>>front line noc to know you by name?
>
>Goodness gracious, while that personal touch can be pleasant, it is not
>required.  But, I do expect them to have an idea what the IP addresses
>of their own routers are, and not have to go on hold to find out about
>traceroutes....

Perhaps you should ensure you are actually calling MCI's NOC, thanks.

>[email protected]
>    Key fingerprint =  17 40 5E 67 15 6F 31 26  DD 0D B9 9B 6A 15 2C 32
>[email protected]
>    Key fingerprint =  2E 07 23 03 C5 62 70 D3  59 B1 4F 5E 1D C2 C1 A2

jim

Regards,

Jim Farrar
MCI Internet Operations