Re: Network IP analysis?

  • From: Martin J. Hannigan
  • Date: Wed Jun 25 01:33:55 1997

> Howdy,
> Does anyone know of any good IP monitoring tools that can log/monitor the
> TYPES of IP traffic going across your netowork (ie: one that logs tcp/udp and
> esp port numbers/types of traffic)?  Something that could query a router

The "etherman" tool suite out of Curtin University in Austalia is a free
start.

> would be nice, although I am unaware of any routers that support such a feature.

I just recently snagged MRTG, a freeware SMNP package that will poll a router
allowing snmp access. It seems like a simple traffic monitoring/averaging/history
program that is too simple to use, but provides easy to understand information
in a visual context. Cisco's are really easy to configure for snmp polling
by MRTG.

I'm sorry I can't post the ftp sites. Can't think of them off the top
of my head and too late to search. Apologies. Maybe someone else knows
firsthand?

Regards,

--
Martin Hannigan	([email protected])	     Voice: 617.528.1099
Firefly Network, Inc. - Network Operations