Re: Blocking spam

  • From: J.D. Falk
  • Date: Wed Jun 18 23:07:44 1997

On Jun 18, Brian Horvitz <[email protected]> wrote:

> Can someone give me a clue on filtering mail on using the stock sendmail
> that comes with Solaris?

	I can probably point you in the right direction (it's a
	hobby of mine), but the first step is unquestionably
	to upgrade to a modern sendmail.

> Anyway, I have the email address that
> he is using as for the FROM: field so I'd like to simply block that out.

	That won't be enough.  Now that one spammer knows your
	site allows relaying, you can expect more to do the same
	thing.

> Help would be appreciated.

	The best resource is http://spam.abuse.net/ -- the patches
	and recipes at http://www.sendmail.org/ don't work for
	everybody yet.  Feel free to bug me privately if you've
	got any questions about which one to use, etc.

--
J.D. Falk, Network Operations Center Supervisor      +1 (415) 482-2840
Priori Networks, Inc.                            http://www.priori.net