Re: Internet outages

  • From: Dalvenjah FoxFire
  • Date: Tue Jun 17 02:17:56 1997

Pete Bowden put this into my mailbox:

> I think it's a great idea, the DAL list contains alot of non-routing
> related outage information -- it appears to be extremely dal-centric,
> talking about hosts which are down which serve specific applications --
> however, it does have the sprintlink outage information.
>
> Do you think DAL would want to have added alot of other OUTAGE reports
> which don't effect them?

I've been watching that, and lately it seems that the DALnet-centric
traffic has far outweighed the Sprint/other net traffic. What I'm
going to do is split it into two lists; the main '[email protected]' list
will remain general internet backbone style outage-centric,
and I'm going to create another list for DALnet outages.

I'll post more info to [email protected] likely by Tues. or Wed. afternoon
(as well as here, if people want), basically as soon as I get a chance to
set the list up on a connection faster than my current one.

> I think it would be good if Stan used and setup an outage list which could
> have reports which were of interest beyond those interesting to DAL.

Actually - if Stan has better luck than I at getting providers to direct
outage notices to his list, I'd be perfectly willing to defer to him or to
subscribe [email protected] to his list, or whatever seems appropriate.

All that really matters is that we try and have someplace where backbone-types
can post notice of problems so that people are aware of them and can offer an
informed answer to people and perhaps do better at working around a problem
or solving it.

-dalvenjah
--
 Dalvenjah FoxFire (aka Sven Nielsen)  I once heard the voice of God. It
 Founder, the DALnet IRC Network       said "Vrrrrrmmmmmm." Unless it was

 e-mail: [email protected]             WWW: http://www.dal.net/~dalvenjah/
 whois: SN90                           Try DALnet! http://www.dal.net/