Re: multihoming without BGP

  • From: Dana Hudes
  • Date: Fri Jun 13 09:45:51 1997

Paul A Vixie wrote:

> But there's no guarantee that you need separate addresses per home
> page.
> If you don't count Lynx or Mosaic as part of your target audience,
> then you
> can depend on the "Host:" keyword sent in queries by *all* modern
> browsers.

I had to jump in here with a correction and clarification. We
are using Netscape Enterprise Server 2.0. The 'software virtual
server' feature doesn't work with any version of Netscape Navigator
up to and including Communicator Preview 5. The server sees a
HTTP 1.0 not HTTP 1.1 request.  In my logs I do see some webcrawlers
sending HTTP 1.1 so it isn't completely a server issue.
Netscape Enterprise 3.0 is coming out RSN but I don't know that it will
be any better. If it is I'll speak up here.

The result is we are, on Solaris 2.5.1, burning an IP address for each
website on the host system rather than using CNAME and software virtual
servers. It also results in a server process running for each website.

As for Lynx, one cannot cavalierly dismiss it. A current Lynx has
to be supported for at least the blind/visually impaired users.
I know one personally.