Re: NSP ... New Information

  • From: Eric Germann
  • Date: Tue Jun 10 15:28:05 1997

The really annoying part of the whole "/19 or you are screwed" policy with respect to routability is the hoops the little guy has to go through to get address space. As has been quoted here earlier in this thread, Internic claims you need 100% utilization off the bat. However, none of the big guys seem to play by the rules for rational allocations.

I have a client connected to MCI. They have five divisions on one campus. They have been allocated 5 class C's by MCI. They need exactly four addresses, one for the mailgate, one for the proxy, one for the Web server and one for the the router for each division. So their utilization is 4/256 or 1.5625%. Responsible allocation?

I have a colleague who wanted dial on demand LAN routing. PSI offers it. He has a 2 node + router LAN. One for the router and one for each PC. Guess what he gets? A Class C. 3/256 or 1.17% utilization. Their reasoning, and I quote: "Its just easier for us to set up that way."

Why doesn't Internic go back and pick on the big guys and start yanking their addresses. I'm all for conservation, universally applied. Ironic that the big guys waste the space and then filter the routes of the little guys who give their first three children to Internic to get PIA, isn't it.