Re: RFC-1918, NATs and games

  • From: David Bannister
  • Date: Mon Jun 09 20:16:17 1997

At 03:50 PM 6/9/97 -0700, Justin W. Newton wrote:
>At 04:24 PM 6/9/97 GMT, William Allen Simpson wrote:
>>Speaking as the designer of the network portion of a couple of those
>>popular games, the applications are _not_ broken.  Sending the IP
>>addresses is the only working method to dynamically join and redirect
>>multiplayer games.
>
>This is getting off-topic, but is there any reason that src address in the
>packet header doesn't work?  Most (yes, all, I'm being silly) packets have
>the src address set in the header, and it seems as if it would be a
>reliable way to determine the uniqueness of a stream, seeing as that is how
>this strange proprietary protocol named IP does it.  What am I missing?

In the cases he is referring to addresses are passed at the application
level from the client initiating the call. For example, here is a list of
popular programs that pass addressing information at that level:

ftp
cuseeme
irc
real audio
quake

NAT can break these applications and special handling must be done to make
them work.

>Justin W. Newton
>Senior Network Architect
>Priori Networks				http://www.priori.net
>ISP/C, Director at Large			http://www.ispc.org

             <<<This Space Intentionally Left Blank>>>