Re: NSP ... New Information

  • From: Edward Fang
  • Date: Mon Jun 09 00:43:47 1997

This is all great and dandy, but then why does it appear that anybody with
a cable modem this side of the sun are using static IP's.  Granted that
the Nic probably didn't allocate the current /8 (or the next one), but I
don't see any (and didn't see any prior) 'investigation' to make dynamic
allocation possible (or using RFC1918 addresses).  Are they looking at
DHCP or RFC1918 as a solution for their userbase ?

While we're here pulling our teeth on returning addresses and not
allowing static IP's for a combined user base of several million internet
users, a group of users with less than 50K (correct me if I'm wrong here)
and no track history of rwhois/swipped addresses gets gets /8's for
allocation to a static IP userbase.......

Ed