Re: NSP ... New Information

  • From: Larry Vaden
  • Date: Sun Jun 08 22:42:38 1997
  • Posted-date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 21:26:44 -0500 (CDT)

At 07:13 PM 6/8/97 -0700, Bill Manning wrote:

>> Should InterNIC grant small ISPs (this one serves a rural area between
>> Dallas and Oklahoma City) fully routable and portable IP space?
>>
>> Larry Vaden, founder and CEO               help-desk 903-813-4500
>
>A long time ago, a group asked the same question.  The answer turned
>out to be that the Internic, not being an ISP, has no clue about the
>routability of -any- prefix that is delegated.  No delegation registry
>can ensure the routability of any given prefix.
>
>Thngs may have changed, can you describe to me what you consider
>a "fully routable and portable IP space" might look like and
>how such conditions might be enforced?
>
>--
>--bill

Bill,

I feel you could provide a better definition, but what others tell me is
that CIDR blocks with prefixes longer than /19 are fully routable if they
are in the 192/8--205/8 range (a regurgitation of Sprint el al's routing
policy?).

What is your definition of "fully routable"?

What is your definition of "portable"?

What is the role of "legacy" equipment, if any, in such matters?

Are the larger players concerned that the smaller players don't have
"certified" BGP configurations?

I appreciate your input and that of others as well.

Regards,

Larry Vaden, founder and CEO               help-desk 903-813-4500
Internet Texoma, Inc. <http://www.texoma.net> direct 903-870-0365
bringing the real Internet to rural Texomaland   fax 903-868-8551
Member ISP/C, TISPA and USIPA                  pager 903-867-6571