Re: NSP ... New Information

  • From: Larry Vaden
  • Date: Sun Jun 08 21:30:43 1997
  • Posted-date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 20:21:16 -0500 (CDT)

At 10:50 AM 6/8/97 -0700, Michael Dillon wrote:
>On Wed, 4 Jun 1997, Phil Howard wrote:
>
>> I've got one idea I'm mulling over that could help in the current
situation.
>> Once it is a more mature idea, I might suggest it.  In the mean time I just
>> want to read other thoughts, comments, ideas, and... uh... no... not
flames.

>I'd like to see them start allocating recovered space from 192/8 in
>/22 or maybe /21 sizes.

I enjoyed my first NANOG (10) and learned a great deal from several people.
 It was a pleasure to meet Michael, Justin, Robert of priori.net and
several others, including Kim Hubbard of InterNIC and I am glad to see this
issue on the NANOG list.

Often, it is helpful to look at how other industries handle similar issues;
 as a result of a suggestion by Wayne Shirley, chairman of the New Mexico
Public Utilities Commission, I looked into some federal documents for
guidance on the issue and found the following at
<http://www.ece.iit.edu/~power/taccess/rm95-8.000>:

>          The focus of our proposal today is to facilitate competitive
>          wholesale electric power markets.  The key to competitive bulk
>          power markets is opening up transmission services.  Transmission
>          is the vital link between sellers and buyers.  To achieve the
>          benefits of robust, competitive bulk power markets, all wholesale
>          buyers and sellers must have equal access to the transmission
>          grid.  Otherwise, efficient trades cannot take place and
>          ratepayers will bear unnecessary costs.  Thus, market power
>          through control of transmission is the single greatest impediment
>          to competition.  Unquestionably, this market power is still being
>          used today, or can be used, discriminatorily to block
>          competition.

The final codification may be FERC Order 888 or 18 CFR Part 388, which
apparently are not online save West Law.

What do NANOG people think about this issue?

Should InterNIC grant small ISPs (this one serves a rural area between
Dallas and Oklahoma City) fully routable and portable IP space?

Or should the denial of instruments necessary for competition be used to
force market consolidation?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Regards,

Larry Vaden, founder and CEO               help-desk 903-813-4500
Internet Texoma, Inc. <http://www.texoma.net> direct 903-870-0365
bringing the real Internet to rural Texomaland   fax 903-868-8551
Member ISP/C, TISPA and USIPA                  pager 903-867-6571