Re: satellite connections

  • From: Brett D. Watson
  • Date: Thu Jun 05 12:00:33 1997

> Hi,
>
> Stephen Sprunk wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure how many TCP/IP stacks still set those bits; it may be
> > necessary to have a router manipulate the bits after examining the port
> > numbers of a connection.
>
> Looks like a good place to use access lists that choose packets based on
> tcp, udp, and port number.  If I could get a 45 Mbps circuit over high-latency
> geosatellite, one-way, I could use it for http and "push" traffic.
> The requests, outbound stuff, and interactive traffic would fit into a T1
> under the ocean.

  if you're interested in that, cisco's new CoS stuff uses precedence
(extended access lists, mac address, ports numbers) to do just such a
thing.  it would be most useful if isp's could have concensus on the
precedence "classes" to work across the multiprovider internet (may
not be practical though).

-brett