Re: NSP ... New Information

  • From: Miguel A.L. Paraz
  • Date: Thu Jun 05 07:29:13 1997

Hi,

Phil Howard wrote:
> In effect Sprint is encouraging the waste of IP space.  I'm putting together
> a proposal now for a web farm type of facility for a group of investors and
> a block of /19 is way more than is needed.  But the plan is going to have at
> least 4 points of multi-homing to diverse backbone providers, so a fully
> announceable block is essential.

Idea: How about getting provider-dependent space from each one, then make
the web servers listen on different addresses each.  Rig the DNS with a low
TTL for the server A records, or perhaps use dynamic updates (haven't tried
it yet though) to remove the IP from the A list if a link goes down.

Example you get space from:
ISP A	10.0.0.0/24
ISP B	10.1.0.0/24
ISP C	10.2.0.0/24
ISP D	10.3.0.0/24

So you have:

www.customer1.com	IN	A	10.0.0.1
			IN	A	10.1.0.1
			IN	A	10.2.0.1
			IN	A	10.3.0.1

www.customer2.com	IN	A	10.0.0.2
			IN	A	10.1.0.2
			IN	A	10.2.0.2
			IN	A	10.3.0.2

Now if ISP C goes down, delete 10.2.0.1 and 10.2.0.2 from the list.

--
miguel a.l. paraz  <[email protected]>                              +63-2-893-0850
iphil communications, makati city, philippines          <http://www.iphil.net>