RE: NANOG Meeting

  • From: Jim Fleming
  • Date: Fri May 30 19:34:35 1997

On Thursday, May 29, 1997 8:48 PM, Philip J. Nesser II[SMTP:[email protected]] wrote:
@ Jim Fleming supposedly said:
@ >
@ > Will the Root Name Server Confederations be
@ > discussed at the upcoming NANOG meeting
@ > where Michael Dillon is giving an ISP tutorial ?
@ >
@ > @@@@ http://www.nanog.org/mtg-9706/tutorial.html
@
@
@ In a word: no
@
@ (Of course there are many good laughs had by all when someone comes up with
@ the latest joke)
@
@ ----> Phil
@

Since NANOG is promoting the education, hopefully
people will be informed that Mr. Michael Dillon has strong
views on some of the various leading edge movements on
the Internet. He has also been one of the major advocates
for the IAHC. The IAHC has not followed through with
registries as promised and now we have brokers out there
pre-registering people in Top Level Domains that do not
exist and do not have TLD Name Servers. Mr. Michael
Dillon has supported the actions of these brokers and
claims they are providing a useful service.

Does NANOG support that kind of activity ?

Re: IANA/ISI/USC/UCLA (Was: Address Space)

On Tue, 29 Apr 1997, Patrick Gilmore wrote:

> Sorry if I took it too far.

I was mostly concerned about your description of IANA because there are a
number of people and organizations who are spreading misinformation and
pure FUD about IANA in and attempt to get the U.S. government to usurp
IANA's authority and enforce a restricted monopoly system of domain names.

I personally am opposed to both the Internic/NSI schemes
http://www.netsol.com/papers/internet.html
and the eDNS schemes http://www.edns.net and the name.space schemes
http://www.pgpmedia.com/ns./com/reg_noframe.html

One strategy that these people are using is to claim that IANA does not
really exist or to claim that IANA has no authority to do what it has done
for many years or that someone else (DOD, USC, FNC, ...) really is in
charge of the IANA.

I know it can be hard to figure out what's really going on with so much
FUD being distributed so I don't blame you for misunderstanding the
relationships between USC and IANA.

Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-250-546-3049
http://www.memra.com             -               E-mail: [email protected]

Jim Fleming
Unir Corporation
http://www.Unir.Corp