Re: Shutdown of lists on May 30th at 12:01 AM

  • From: Simon Higgs
  • Date: Thu May 29 16:27:32 1997

At 10:44 AM -0400 5/29/97, Philip J. Nesser II wrote:

> Paul can certainly speak for himself, but I think the issue that most
> people (myself included) have is that these people refuse to work within
> the IETF process.  If they want to change things and follow the procedure
> that everyone else has used for years then great, let them try and convince
> people of the validity of their ideas.

The IETF seem to think it's a policy issue and not a technical issue.

I presented a draft at the San Jose IETF at the newdom BOF. It's a
credible plan that includes the IAHC shared-tld plan, but balances the
issues in the overall namespace. It could save a small fortune that
would otherwise be spent on litigation by domain name holders.

But guess what happened? The IAHC, comprising mainly of lawyers,
started their one-way discussion, and as a result started increasing
the billable hours to the legal profession.

Watch. Cringe. There are consequences. But, of course, I'm just
repeating myself (again).

Best Regards,

Simon Higgs
President/CEO