Re: Shutdown of lists on May 30th at 12:01 AM

  • From: Dave Crocker
  • Date: Thu May 29 15:25:14 1997

At 9:32 AM -0700 5/29/97, Karl Denninger wrote:
>The IAHC was not done within the IETF process.  There is no RFC which was
>promoted to either a BCP or Internet Standard defining their work.

	Once again, I do commend to folks that they learn about the IETF
process.  The IETF does not dictate procedures or administration for the
operational Internet. It does not participate in the development or
execution of those procedures.  The IETF specifies technical standards.
The documents known as "best current practise" represent efforts to
characterize methods of using those standards, rather than methods of
running the Internet.

	This has been hashed and re-h many times.  One can only wonder at
the continuing effort to claim the IETF should be directly involved, given
that it has no charter or history of being so involved.

>That was ENTIRELY a private decision and done outside of the IETF process.

	Sigh.  Such willful misreprentation facilitates dialogue and
clarity in no way.  You may choose to disagree with the IAHC mandate, but
claiming it had none is ... well, you know the "l" word you like to use so
much, Karl?

	The IAHC work was very much public and was very much sanctioned by
the administrative authority for the DNS.  Do you really think that
distorting facts like this helps your own cause?

d/

Dave Crocker                                             +1 408 246 8253
Brandenburg Consulting                              fax: +1 408 249 6205
675 Spruce Dr.                                  [email protected]
Sunnyvale CA 94086 USA                        http://www.brandenburg.com

Internet Mail Consortium                http://www.imc.org, [email protected]