Re: Local Peering Points

  • From: Tim Flavin
  • Date: Thu May 29 15:24:55 1997

On Thu, 29 May 1997 [email protected] wrote:

> I've been having an offline debate and wanted to take a quick
> lithmus test...Mostly aimed at the folks who don't currently
> peer at any of the 'nationally recognized peering points', but I'll
> take answers from anyone...Ya'll are always so short on opinions. :-}
>
> If someone presented you with the following options:
>
> 	1) $X connect to a local peering point and peer with other
> 		local/regional ISPs (MLPA) You retain current transit.
> 	2) $X+$Y connect to a local peering point and peer with other
> 		local/regional ISPs plus the host (a decent sized national
> 		carrier) You retain current transit.
> 	3) $X+$Y+$Z Purchase transit from the host, not including access
> 		to the local peering points
>
> Would purchasing #3 prevent or discourage you from purchasing #1 and
> would purchasing #1 or #2 prevent or discourage you from purchasing
> #3? How do folks feel about the concept of local peering points?
>
> Comments, public or private, are, of course, welcome.
>
> bob iii (not speaking for anyone but myself, & certainly not my employer...)

I'm currently at a local peering point hosted by DRA, when looking for
additional bandwidth, I didn't look very hard at DRA at that time based on
the fact I was already peering with them, I was very wrong at that time,
but I think your question is based on how I viewed things at that time,
not now.  I also feel others would think along similar lines if put in the
same position at other reagional peering points.

Tim Flavin              Internet Access for St Louis & Chicago
Internet 1st, Inc       Toll Free Sales & Support 800-875-3173
http://www.i1.net       For more information email [email protected]