Re: Shutdown of lists on May 30th at 12:01 AM

  • From: Dave Crocker
  • Date: Thu May 29 13:42:14 1997

At 9:36 AM -0700 5/29/97, Richard J. Sexton wrote:
>You seem to vascilate between "It's a public resource" (in whcih case
>can the public not add to it") and "IANA owns it" (in which case there

	It's difficult to be careful in using language, isn't it?  For
example, I never have said that IANA "owns" the DNS.  I said it has
administrative authority for it.  The DNS is a public resource and IANA
oversees it.  IANA operates based on general community consensus.  This is
what has always been true and continues to be true.  There's no vacilation
or ambiguity in this.  Never has been.

>There was once a time when the entire Internet accepted IANA's authotiry.

	Except for the few pirates, the entire Internet still does.

>And failed, being rejected by:
>        US GOV't
>        NSI
>        Major ISP's
>        Author of the DNS itself

	Richard, it's difficult to be careful in using language, isn't it?

*  The effort has not been rejected by the US government.

*  Having NSI take an antagonistic role is hardly noteworthy, given that
they are desperately trying to preserve their windfall revenue stream.

*  While you claim rejection by major ISPs (I seem to recall only one that
is openly negative) you fail to mention that it is also supported by major
ISPs.

*  As to the author of the DNS, Paul often takes critical positions but I'm
not aware of his taking a specific stance against the IAHC plan.

>which is enough to render it useless.

	How easily you ignore the many and diverse signatories.

>Can we get past the petty politics and try to develop a best compromise

	You seem to forget that that is exactly what the IAHC was.  After 2
years of failed effort, IANA asked the IAHC to formulate a compromise plan.
We did.  It is now being implemented.

d/

Dave Crocker, Director                                       +1 408 246 8253
Internet Mail Consortium                                 (f) +1 408 249 6205
675 Spruce Dr.                                              [email protected]
Sunnyvale, CA 94086  USA                   [email protected] , http://www.imc.org