Re: Shutdown of lists on May 30th at 12:01 AM

  • From: Karl Denninger
  • Date: Thu May 29 12:40:56 1997

On Thu, May 29, 1997 at 10:44:28AM -0400, Philip J. Nesser II wrote:
> Vince Wolodkin supposedly said:

> > > fiction.
> > >
> > > there are some root name servers.
> > >
> > > then there are some pirates who are trying to coin the "confederation" term.
> >
> > Mr Vixie,
> >
> > I realize your exasperation with certain elements that have arisen in
> > this "new age" of the internet.  Many of them ARE in it for the money.
> > Of course, you realize, that this was bound to happen.  Any successful
> > non-profit venture will ultimately have people trying to make money off
> > of it.  It's not illegal, though piracy is.
> >
> > While you disagree with the "confederation" ideas that Mr. Fleming
> > espouses, calling he and others pirates is rather ridiculous.  If you
> > were involved in an IETF proceeding and someone presented an alternate
> > idea, would you call them pirates?
> >

> Paul can certainly speak for himself, but I think the issue that most
> people (myself included) have is that these people refuse to work within
> the IETF process.  If they want to change things and follow the procedure
> that everyone else has used for years then great, let them try and convince
> people of the validity of their ideas.
>
> If, on the other hand, they refuse to work within the well established
> system and go off into a corner and make grand declarations and try and
> fracture the "rough consensus" model that has kept the net operating for
> years, then they are indeed pirates.  I would like to point out that going
> through the IETF process does not mean your ideas will be accepted.  More
> ideas and plans are rejected than are accepted.

The IAHC was not done within the IETF process.  There is no RFC which was
promoted to either a BCP or Internet Standard defining their work.

That was ENTIRELY a private decision and done outside of the IETF process.

Those who live in glass houses....

> --->  Phil

Karl Denninger ([email protected])| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
http://www.mcs.net/~karl     | T1's from $600 monthly to FULL DS-3 Service
			     | 99 Analog numbers, 77 ISDN, http://www.mcs.net/
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1 x219]| NOW Serving 56kbps DIGITAL on our analog lines!
Fax:   [+1 312 803-4929]     | 2 FULL DS-3 Internet links; 400Mbps B/W Internal