Re: Shutdown of lists on May 30th at 12:01 AM

  • From: Vince Wolodkin
  • Date: Thu May 29 12:05:42 1997

Paul A Vixie wrote:

> mr. wolodkin,
>
> it is not possible to support multiple public sets of root name servers.
> the DNS protocol does not support it.  BIND does not support it.  what
> happens when you try is called "cachaphony."

I know that you are the "God of BIND", but yet I don't trust anyone who
tells me something is impossible.  If you would have said impractical,
or unfeasible, or explained somehow why you feel it's not possible, then
I might agree with you.  On the other hand, I don't think I have seen
any draft RFCs from Mr. Fleming stating how this would be possible.
Jim, if you feel this is possible, why not draft an RFC stating how.
"Put up or shut up" might be appropriate at this time.

> anyone who tries is harming the public internet user population with only
> their own gain (usually psychological, sometimes monetary) as justification.
> i call these people "pirates" and i mean it in the same sense as i would
> call you a pirate if you decided to broadcast on one of my local television
> channels since you thought your programming was better.  depending on radiuses
> i could get (a) a signal i didn't want or (b) a mixture of crap and no signal
> at all.
>
> there is no justification for eDNS, alterNIC, or any of these other pirates.
> they are in this for foolish and destructive reasons.
>
> DNS is a coherent, distributed, reliable database.  with one set of roots.
> if you don't like that you should start by changing the speed of light since
> i'm sure you don't like "C" either.  and if E=MC**2 bothers you i think that
> you should change it as well.  and if you want PI to equal 3, just wish and
> your wishing will make it so.  says so right here on the label.
>
> i am not impressed with your apologist role here.

As I am not impressed with your vindictive role.  I unlike you and
others find myself in no camp at all.  I see value in parts from all
sides.  Perhaps rather than criticizing you could, as I did above,
invite Mr. Fleming to draft an RFC specifying his confederations
theories and the changes necessary to DNS and BIND to support it.  I
don't care whether people are impressed with me or not, perhaps you
should take this tack.  You can get a lot more done if you aren't trying
to impress everyone all of the time.

> paul vixie

Vince Wolodkin