Re: Shutdown of lists on May 30th at 12:01 AM

  • From: Brian Tackett
  • Date: Thu May 29 10:54:22 1997

On Thu, 29 May 1997, Vince Wolodkin wrote:

> It's time you faced it, though you and others may have put a great deal
> of work into building what the internet has become, so have many
> others.  It doesn't mean that it belongs to you.  It doesn't mean that
> people who are trying to build something now are pirates.

No. It means that people who try to take a public resource and make it a
private cash cow ARE pirates. I challenge you to show one email, any email
(or any other verifiable piece of info) anywhere in which Paul has claimed
to own the net.

> even be a little bit afraid that some of them might succeed.  But why is
> their input LESS valuable than yours, and who are you to make this
> judgement?

He isn't. The Internet community is, and that community probably values
Paul's input because of his track record and his demonstrable talent and
insight into issues :)

> Take a good look in the mirror and decide, do you want to work with
> others or do you want to dictate to others?  Then please let us know, we
> may need to ignore you in the future.

Ignore whomever you choose to ignore. I think you'll find that Paul (and
others, certainly) are concerned with working inside a framework which is
most beneficial to the Internet community at large. DNS pirates like
the eDNS/uDNS/AlterNIC crowd are not, thay're interested in producing a
perception of power and a stream of revenue for themselves.