Re: Shutdown of lists on May 30th at 12:01 AM

  • From: Vince Wolodkin
  • Date: Thu May 29 10:22:18 1997

Paul A Vixie wrote:

> > P.S. Keep in mind that a Root Name Server Confederation is
> > a collection of Root Name Servers. The new ISI/NSI confederation
> > that is being built just moved one of its nameservers to the
> > control of RIPE and it is located in London, England.
>
> fiction.
>
> there are some root name servers.
>
> then there are some pirates who are trying to coin the "confederation" term.

Mr Vixie,

I realize your exasperation with certain elements that have arisen in
this "new age" of the internet.  Many of them ARE in it for the money.
Of course, you realize, that this was bound to happen.  Any successful
non-profit venture will ultimately have people trying to make money off
of it.  It's not illegal, though piracy is.

While you disagree with the "confederation" ideas that Mr. Fleming
espouses, calling he and others pirates is rather ridiculous.  If you
were involved in an IETF proceeding and someone presented an alternate
idea, would you call them pirates?

It's time you faced it, though you and others may have put a great deal
of work into building what the internet has become, so have many
others.  It doesn't mean that it belongs to you.  It doesn't mean that
people who are trying to build something now are pirates.

I really can't tell why you are so upset about all of this.  I am
guessing that you don't want to see the internet fall to ruins because a
bunch of newcomers with "radical" ideas want to change things.  You may
even be a little bit afraid that some of them might succeed.  But why is
their input LESS valuable than yours, and who are you to make this
judgement?

I'll probably get flamed off the planet for siding with the
"interlopers", perhaps cries of "burn the witch" will follow me.  Then
again, wasn't there a time when those who thought that the earth orbited
the sun killed for their blasphemy?

Take a good look in the mirror and decide, do you want to work with
others or do you want to dictate to others?  Then please let us know, we
may need to ignore you in the future.

Vince Wolodkin