the original thirteen NSFNET regionals

  • From: Kent W. England
  • Date: Wed May 28 04:57:21 1997

>Does anyone remember the NSF-sponsored regional networks? Can you fix
>this table--this is off the top of my head so I am missing a few networks.

Can I buy a vowel?

 Name             Region           NOC was or is at          Now

 SURAnet          Southeast US     Univ MD                   BBN SER
 NEARnet          Northeast US     MIT?                      BBN NER
                                   ^^^^BBN
 PREPnet          Pennsylvania     PSC                       merged w/ CICnet
 BARRnet          Bay Area         Stanford? Berkeley?       BBN WR
                                   ^SU then E. Bayshore Rd., Palo Alto
 CERFnet?         South Calif      SDSC                      TCG
 Yes, CA Educational and Research Foundation network
                                   NOC was at General Atomics facility near
UCSD
 CICnet           Midwest          ?                         merged w/ PREPnet
                                   ^was UMich, then OSU
 Merit            Michigan         U Mich
 JvNCnet          Middle states    Princeton                 bought by Verio
                                   ^JvNC Supercomputer Center, then Princeton
 NYSERnet         New York         ?
                                   ^NOC provided by contract ISP (now Sprint)
 THEnet           Texas            U Texas                   still independent
 MIDnet           Midwest          ?                         bought by
Global Inet
 WestNet          mid SW           ?                         ?
 NorthWestNet     Northwest        U Wash                    still independent

Those are the "original" thirteen. Then there were OARnet, NetIllinois,
PSCnet, SDSCnet, NCSAnet, UCAR, CSNET, cypressnet, several DoD research
nets and the FIXes ...

--Kent