Re: Top Level Domain Servers

  • From: John Hawkinson
  • Date: Fri May 23 17:54:02 1997

> >After reading the commentaries about top level domain servers
> >and their reality or mythical status, I went on a search of a
> >list of the present "." and top-level servers.

> <http://www.patents.com/nsi/roots.sht>

This is nice, but it's not canonical.

When someone asks a question like this, please give the canonical answer.

--jhawk

[all-purpose-gunk!jhawk] /etc/namedb> head -20 named.root
;       This file holds the information on root name servers needed to
;       initialize cache of Internet domain name servers
;       (e.g. reference this file in the "cache  .  <file>"
;       configuration file of BIND domain name servers).
;
;       This file is made available by InterNIC registration services
;       under anonymous FTP as
;           file                /domain/named.root
;           on server           FTP.RS.INTERNIC.NET
;       -OR- under Gopher at    RS.INTERNIC.NET
;           under menu          InterNIC Registration Services (NSI)
;              submenu          InterNIC Registration Archives
;           file                named.root
;
;       last update:    Nov 8, 1995
;       related version of root zone:   1995110800
;
;
; formerly NS.INTERNIC.NET
;