Re: Root Name Server Confederations

  • From: Paul A Vixie
  • Date: Thu May 22 13:24:47 1997

I've been rimshot.  I'm choosing not to ignore it.  You should, though. Hit D!

> If you are looking for fame and fortune, I do not
> think that eDNS will deliver that. eDNS is largely
> a volunteer effort and I bet that any eDNS person
> would trade places with...

Interesting choice of words there.

>                        ...some of the people that
> you might think are not in this for the "profits"
> even though they run "non-profit companies".

That sounds like me.

> Ask those people to review their annual earnings
> with you sometime. I bet you do not get very far.

Nothing I'm involved in is publically traded, but you
are still entitled to look upon the nonprofit financial
statements.  What they'll show is that the Internet
Software Consortium spends 100% of its donations on
engineering, with a 0% overhead rate.  What this year's
finances will show is that Vixie Enterprises subsidizes
Bob Halley's entire salary for BIND work since we have
not received sufficient donations to pay for it other-
wise.  (INN and DHCP will shortly be in the same boat.)

So, sure, it's nice that Vixie Enterprises, my profitable
company, can afford to pay engineers to work on things
that don't bring in any money.  But I'm keenly aware that
Rick Adams' "UUNET Communications Services" (the old UUNET
nonprofit) put $700K into ISC originally and that I have
a lot of catching up to do from the years when ISC paid
my mortgage while I worked on BIND.

The thing that's bizarre is the AlterNIC/eDNS/intersteller
community's continued inability to recognize that those
of us who are involved in both for-profit and non-profit
businesses have perfectly legitimate reasons for doing so.

By the way doesn't it seem odd to write in 50 columns?