Re: Changing the Rules...

  • From: bill.st.arnaud
  • Date: Thu May 22 12:44:00 1997

I was not at the last CAIP meeting, but as far as I know there has been no
endorsement by CAIP to repatriate IP registery.

There was some discussion a year on doing this and CANARIE even offered to
partly fund the costs of developing the registery.

But I believe a consensus arose that it would be far more valuable for Canada
to participate more actively in North American registery bodies such as ARIN.
We would have a lot more influence on registery issues if we participate in
North American forum rather than building our own services.

Bill

--- On Thu, 22 May 1997 08:29:08 -0700 (PDT)  Michael Dillon
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Thu, 22 May 1997, Marc Hurst wrote:
>
> > Uh, we have been asking for the past two years. We are hardly new at
> > this. In fact the CAIP has endorsed our proposal to repatriate the
> > canadian ip registry.
>
> To the best of my knowledge this is not true. The issue of a Canadian IP
> Registry appears to no longer be on CAIP's agenda. For instnace it is not
> mentioned at all in the report given April 24th at the CAIP AGM
> http://www.caip.ca/agmrepor.htm
>
> In fact, here is a quote from a Government of Canada report found at
> http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/sc_indps/itt/engdoc/3g12.html in the
> Executive Summary section:
>
>    The report finds that the economic cost of a Canadian IP registry would
>    be high. Construction, or set-up costs would exceed $100,000, while the
>    registry would probably suffer an operating loss, after deduction of
>    fees to its users, of approximately $400,000 in its first year of
>    operation.  These costs would need to be absorbed by the Canadian ISPs,
>    or passed on to customers.
>
>    Offsetting benefits which might make such costs tolerable could not be
>    identified.
>
> The Government of Canada does not appear to support repatriation of the
> IP registry function either.
>

> Michael Dillon                   -               Internet & ISP Consulting
> http://www.memra.com             -               E-mail: [email protected]
>
> The bottom line is track record.  Not track tearing.  Not track derailing.
> But pounding the damn dirt around the track with the rest of us worms.
>        -- Randy Bush

Bill St. Arnaud           CANARIE Inc
Director Network Projects 470-410 Laurier Ave W
Tel: +1 613 660-3497      Ottawa
     199.212.24.5         Canada
FAX: +1 613 660-3806      K1P 6H5
[email protected]  http://www.canarie.ca/bstarn