Re: QoS/CoS interest

  • From: Mike Trest
  • Date: Thu May 22 11:53:20 1997

At 09:46 AM 5/22/97 -0500, [email protected] wrote:

> There still exists major problems with bandwidth in an around
> major metropolitan areas like Chicago and NY

In our attempts to secure fiber we are quite often frustrated by
local availability problems.  But it is not restricted to local.
There are still inter-city problem areas too.

>In Canada, we have been very fortunate in having excess fibre capacity in
and
>around our major metropolitan areas, with more coming on line every day. The
>problem has become so acute, that in Toronto we probably have the lowest ATM
>circuit prices anywhere in North America.

I could *really* like Toronto :-)  [if I can live in San Diego in Winter]

>In Montreal the local university
>GigaPOP consortium is pulling their own 40 strand fibre through the city
>ducts at a cost less than one year's tariff that the carrier wanted for a
DS3
>connection between these same institutions.

In my town, a major manufacturer put in their own SONET rings.  They
hired the same construction companies who put it in the ground for
the TELCOs and CABLE companies.

>The question in my mind is how long will it take to get QoS/CoS working
>effectively over heterogenous networks with all the related business issues
>of settlements, etc versus how long it will take for the facilities
providers
>to plow new fibre into the ground?

Private discussions of this topic abound.  We always come to these
observations.  My discsusions with others in research and network
planning has yeilded similar concerns.

I really wonder if anyone really cares about this enough to propose
a preliminary service model with the corresponding business Ts & Cs.
My belief is that if a wide spread agreement can be reached on the
business issues, then the technology-builders will respond rapidly.

In the meantime, we will continue to see differentiated
quality of service only in:
	1. Private network segements (Intranets)
	2. L2 supported VPN with ATM QoS
	3. Virtual QoS [i.e. over public networks
          with your fingers crossed]

>If the fibre shortage is resolved quickly and all these promised WDM and
>optical technologies come to pass than the QoS/CoS business issues may prove
>to be an interesting technical challenge but never get wide commercial
>deployment.
>
>Bill

I hope that Paul's collections of comments (public and private) will
be summarized for this community.  However, it would be interesting
to see the discussion broadly published in Internet trade press
with a clear statement of the issues with a WWW mechanism to
reply with a yes-mabey-no statement of interest.

I encourage this consumer polling because I do not assume
opinions of NANOG readers are representative of opinions
in the business market.

..mike..
Mike Trest                       EMAIL: [email protected]
ATMnet                           VOICE: 619 643 1805
5440 Morehouse Drive #3700       FAX:   619 643 1801
San Diego, CA USA 92121          BEEP:  619 960 9070