Re: Root Name Server Confederations

  • From: Geoff White
  • Date: Wed May 21 11:20:05 1997

On Wed, 21 May 1997, Marc Hurst wrote:

> Yes but here you can apply international law.
>
> On Wed, 21 May 1997, Dave Crocker wrote:
>
> > At 10:47 PM -0400 5/20/97, Marc Hurst wrote:
> > >Not only is that restraint of trade, I would like to see you make that
> > >defense stay in a court outside of the US.
> >
> > 	I love the way you guys throw legal terms around.
> >
> > 	The rogue root server activity is the same as a private citizen
> > trying to take over a state money system.  It's the same "restraint of
> > trade".

Marc,
	Why don't you simply make your case before the ITU.  I believe
	that is what happens when there are disputes over global shared
	broadcast resources such as frequency spectrum.  In the mean time,
	trying to get users to use a system that is not blessed by
	(some) government/International standards committee/United
	Nations/etc.) is just opening the users there-of up to a whole
	lot of interoperability problems and the operators up to a whole
	passel of extra work and sleepless nights.  I myself have way too
	much of both.

	This is funny, way back in 1982 when I didn't realize the the
	Internet would get big [sic]. I had this idea for a global
	distributed OS (called NEXSYS) it worked on the concept of
	objects operating in (a/several) global 128 bit address spaces)
	I realized that there would have to be a single co-ordinating
	committee to manage the space and I envisioned it to be in
	Switzerland :) It's funny and ironic that I get to see this flame
	fest over these topics now.  BTW I do consider myself
	an Anarchist, but anarchy is not the absence of sensible rules.
	Or the promotion of stupid one that harm your neighbors,
	(you wanna go and play with dynamite, fine go OVER THERE (way
	over there) and do it.  I think the Net is the largest and
	most successful example of Anarchy on this planet, what could
	be more elegant then :

	We reject kings, presidents, and voting.
                    We believe in rough consensus and running code.

                                                    IETF Credo
                                                 Dave Clark (1992)

	So my question to you Marc, is, where is the "rough consensus
	and the running code" to support your claims that these
	alternative systems are ready for prime time. And please dpn't
	point me at a list of rootN.myfantasy.net aliases. I too can
	put in a few SOA records in my DNS. If indeed there is real
	work behind these blatherings then "out with it Man". Post
	the URLs help other's download the code and let's get on with it.

	I can see, touch and feel Paul V.'s work literally right before me.
	If DNS were an airplane that I was to take a ride in, I can
	see from past experience what I'm getting with Paul, What
	have you got to offer me other than a ticket on a magic
	carpet (albeit a politically correct one)?

	Perhapse we should let these other root servers operate and
	let natural selection do it's work.  As far as I'm concerned
	with the machines I control, I will point at whatever the ITU
	endorses. If someone wants to put a machine on my net that points
	somewhere else, fine with me just don't come to me for support.

					geoffw
					Virtual Sites