Re: Root Name Server Confederations

  • From: Ben Black
  • Date: Wed May 21 00:18:04 1997

> No,
>
> On the contrary.
>
> I support eDNS because it is a good (not great) free market model. The
> only domain I expect to recover costs on perhaps is ".sex". The only
> people who will make money on domains already have.

heck, why not have free market frequency band allocation?  why not IP
address allocation?  sometimes it is better NOT to have a free market
model.  this is such a case.

were any of those 400 trademarks, patens, and copyrights issued by a
private organization, or by a single office in the US or canada?

> It is kinda like finding a new playground without any real rules. Things
> should be allowed to evolve. I cannot see any real value in people
> signing up "yourname"@isp.z. Vanity is not an industry.

evolution is fine and the IAHC and IANA were and are addressing these
issues.  unconstrained evolution in this case is bad because people
depend on the stability of global naming.  why is that so difficult to see?

> It is cute but it has more to do with soveriegn rights.
>
> Really, I am not in it for the bucks cause it just is not there. I will
> answer truthfully anyone who does not believe me.

this is either tremendous ignorance or tremendous bullshit.  this much
time and effort would not be invested if there were not a big payoff.

> This has more to do with internet and the future world goverance.

so you are an anarchist?

> THINK ABOUT IT - - - ?

i am.  now you try.