Re: Emergency backup for a small net

  • From: Deepak Jain
  • Date: Sun May 18 14:13:43 1997

You would probably run into some big problems with those /24
announcements if they were obtained from different upstream providers. If
they are CIDR, you are saved. [If they work now, they'll work then --

Just have both networks BGP announce both sets of routes, the "alternate"
in either case will have a longer AS path and therefore not be prefered
[you can prepend to insure this]. If they are not CIDR, you are faced
with making illegal announcements on someone else's backbone].

If they both use you as their upstream, you can solve the matter for them.

Wouldn't your method require manual intervention for the BGP session
to be turned up? If you are their upstream, wouldn't it just be simpler
for your NOC to handle the fallover?

-Deepak.