RE: Coincidence...

  • From: Jim Browning
  • Date: Tue May 13 13:47:27 1997

>In any event, let me just say that I disagree with you
>that "stringing is easy" -- replacing all the crap in the
>ground in the U.S. now with fibre that has decent
>chromatic dispersion properties and as little dependence
>on electro-optical conversion as possible is going to be a
>long, expensive and labour-intensive process.
>
>Hence the window of opportunity for Hans Werner von Braun
>and his amazing rocketships of death, and similar
>techologies I'd rather not have to depend on.  :-)

I keep thinking that, as costly as it is to upgrade technology in the
ground or under a few thousand feet of seawater, those difficulties  pale
in comparison to what will be entailed in upgrading satellites.  Given the
rapidity with which networking technology is advancing, one must admire
their willingness to take risks...