Re: UUNET Press Release on Peering

  • From: Karl Denninger
  • Date: Mon May 12 23:32:17 1997

On Mon, May 12, 1997 at 06:07:49PM -0700, Vadim Antonov wrote:
> On Mon, 12 May 1997, Christopher Morrell wrote:
>
> >> Which of UUNET's peers who are able to continue to peer with them, would
> >> you say do not follow the criteria set out in the press release?
>
> >I know of at least one.  I'm sure there are more.  It seems,
> >that equity in traffic exchange may be an overriding
> >principle, although running many web-farms and small
> >backbone can certainly give you that.
>
> This is a serious misunderstanding of the economics of Internet.
>
> The "equity in traffic" is not important at all.
>
> What is important is equal share in carrying packet flows, which
> can be approximately measured in miles*bps.  *That* costs money.
>
> Therefore, a small ISP dumping most of its traffic to others at
> one exchange point will cause long-haul backbones to carry its
> traffic most of the distance (no matter which direction the traffic
> goes), thus effectively subsidizing that small ISP.
>
> --vadim

Really?

And just how did that flow get generated to its peer?

Let's see.... someone paid the "big bad network" for the other end of the
connection so they could talk to Mr. Small Network.

Now you can argue that the other customer didn't REALLY pay for the flow,
but then Mr. Big Network isn't selling connectivity to the Internet in its
complete state *to the best of its ability*.

That, however, is what Mr. Big Network's customers think they bought, and
that gives rise to an act of fraud if that's not what Mr. Big Network
delivers.

As long as UUNET *CLEARLY AND HONESTLY* discloses this UP FRONT, and
releases anyone from a contract which they bought THINKING they were getting
to the whole network, there is no problme.

If they don't do both of those things, well, that's another matter.

Karl Denninger ([email protected])| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
http://www.mcs.net/~karl     | T1's from $600 monthly to FULL DS-3 Service
			     | 99 Analog numbers, 77 ISDN, http://www.mcs.net/
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1 x219]| NOW Serving 56kbps DIGITAL on our analog lines!
Fax:   [+1 312 803-4929]     | 2 FULL DS-3 Internet links; 400Mbps B/W Internal