ATM (was: Re: Coincidence...)

  • From: Bradley Dunn
  • Date: Fri May 09 22:37:37 1997

> Part of the story. US, Japanese and European telco manufacturers had
> different perceptions of 'optimal' atm cell size. Depending upon the mix
> voice/video/data different results were obtained; believe 32 and 64 byte
> were mentioned. The powers that be decided upon a compromise and chose a
> value 'in the middle' causing everyone to redesign their equipment. The
> compromise value was not a power of two. Must have been '89 or
> thereabouts.

Yep...Microprocessors and powers of two don't have any special
relationship. Could the ITU really put politics over technical
requirements? Gee, sounds like a good orginization to help out with
the DNS.

(Yeah, I know, I know. The ITU is "better" now.)
pbd
--
Why can't you be a non-conformist like everyone else?