Re: Coincidence...

  • From: Koen De Vleeschauwer
  • Date: Fri May 09 12:33:27 1997

> At 02:48 PM 07-05-97 -0700, Michael Dillon wrote:
> >
> >I though that ATM cell sizes were so small in order to better support
> >real-time voice and video.
>
> The original ATM compromise was designed to avoid screwing up echo
> cancellation on the last mile loops which is very sensitive to delay and
> hard to adjust since it is old fashioned analog hardware and not digital.
> That is one of the more difficult aspects of the new xDSL technology is
> dealing with echo cancellation and crosstalk in those crummy old two-wire
> circuits.

Part of the story. US, Japanese and European telco manufacturers had different
perceptions of 'optimal' atm cell size. Depending upon the mix voice/video/data
different results were obtained; believe 32 and 64 byte were mentioned.
The powers that be decided upon a compromise and chose a value 'in the middle'
causing everyone to redesign their equipment. The compromise value was not a
power of two. Must have been '89 or thereabouts.

regards,

Koen

======= ___                       === Koen De Vleeschauwer, Network Engineer,
====== /    /   /  ___  ____ _/_ ==== EUnet Communications Services BV