Re: IAHC Backtracks on Registrar Lottery

  • From: Dave Crocker
  • Date: Wed May 07 17:59:44 1997

At 8:35 AM -0700 5/7/97, Jamie Rishaw wrote:
>Isn't it confusing enough to deal with the InterNIC, let alone
>telling a customer "Oh yeah, well we registered it with registry number
>27.."

	You don't register "with" a registrar, you register "through" them
with CORE.  No matter who you register through, it lands in the same data
base.

>I can probably speak for a _lot_ of people when I say that we will
>probably continue to do business exclusively with the InterNIC, no
>matter how cheap the others are:  The InterNIC has proven itself to
>me to be reliable, stable, and in the case where problems _do_ come
>up they're very responsive.  They basically started the whole ballgame,
>why change?

	1.  Business decisions which are adequate to the purpose and which
greatly simplify the running of the business are almost always to be
preferred.  If dealing with NSI achieves this, so much the better for you.
It will, however, be interesting to see whether NSI's limited choice of
top-level names (for now) is preferred by your

	2.  You are, indeed, fortunate to have missed the many and varied
problems that NSI has experienced in learning to do their business, such as
multiple billings and inappropriate holds on names.

	3.  NSI didn't start anything and certainly nothing to do with
.com.  This all pre-dated them by many years.

d/

Dave Crocker, Director                                       +1 408 246 8253
Internet Mail Consortium                                 (f) +1 408 249 6205
127 Segre Place                                             [email protected]
Santa Cruz, CA  95060 USA                                 http://www.imc.org

Also: iPOC member, expressing personal opinions          http://www.iahc.org