Re: BGP communities and customers

  • From: Pierre Thibaudeau
  • Date: Wed May 07 13:44:05 1997

On Wed, 7 May 1997, Jeremy Hinton wrote:

>    	I'm just wondering if many providers are seeing/doing this
>    already, as systems like this could seem to give the end customer quite a
>    bit more control of not only how outcoming traffic flows, but incoming as
>    well (quite possibly at the price of some redundency). Are many providers
>    negotiable to creating and accepting communities from downstream customers?

MCI sets local preference based on community attributes. See
<http://infopage.mci.net/Routing/communities.html> for details. Sprint
does the same (on an experimental base, better check if applied to your
BGP), using community attribute values 1239:70, 1239:80 and 1239:90.

__

Pierre Thibaudeau                     |   e-mail: <[email protected]>
TELEGLOBE CANADA                      |
1000, rue de La Gauchetiere ouest     |      Tel: +1-514-868-7257
Montreal, QC   H3B 4X5                |
Canada                                |      fax: +1-514-868-8446