Re: GTE to acquire BBN

  • From: Kenneth E. Gray
  • Date: Wed May 07 08:24:17 1997

They ate the whole thing....

At 02:56 PM 5/6/97 -0400, Eric D. Madison wrote:

>That's very true, GTE is very lacking in customer service, but not as bad
>as some of the RBOC's.  GTE used to be a good phone company, I know, I
>used to work for them, but since they have started contracting out all of
>it's outside plant operations they have really went down hill.  GTE buying
>some large NSP shouldn't come to any surprise to anyone though.  GTE is
>still the largest LEC in the US (barring the NYNEX/Bell Atlantic merger).
>Eventually all the large NSP's will be bought by a facilities based
>carrier, it is the only economical way to offer service and be
>competitive.
>   Don't be surprised if some other large NSP's get acquired in the near
>future.  Free enterprise is and always has been based on the motto, "If
>you can't compete with a company, buy it."  It's the same thing that has
>been happening in the Software/Hardware world.
>

>One question though, did GTE acquire BBN totally, or just Planet/Saturn?
>BBN is mainly research, BBN Planet and BBN Saturn is just part of the BBN
>company as a whole.
>

>Eric

>      Eric D. Madison - Senior Network Engineer -
> ACSI - Advanced Data Services - ATM/IP Backbone Group
>   24 Hour NMC/NOC (800)291-7889 Email: [email protected]
>

>On Tue, 6 May 1997, Chris Steinke wrote:
>
>> 	As a long time customer of GTE for both personal and
>> business services I really feel sorry for BBN and it's customers.
>> Hopefully BBN will not let GTE get too involved with BBN's operations.
>> GTE has got to be the worst telco in the world. Their service is horrific,
>> their billing is a mess, and I have serious doubts about the competence
>> of their technicians. I can't tell you how many times they have screwed up
>> a simple frame relay installation or even plain old telephone services! There
>> completely clueless!
>>

>> --
>> Chris Steinke
>> Systems Engineer
>> Cinenet Communications
>>  ____/| [email protected]
>>  \o.0 | Oop ACK Ptpthptpt
>>  =(_)=

Ken Gray                                                 ||        ||
ISP Systems Engineer                                     ||        ||
Reston, Virginia   USA                                  ||||      ||||
e-mail: [email protected]                           c i s c o S y s t e m s
fax: +1.703.397.5999